Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner ($32) in Ebony/Black is a well-engineered liquid felt-tip liner. Out of the box, this liner was ready to deliver a steady, predictable, precise line without requiring any practice. There is no pumping or twisting required. One simply applies that tip where one likes, and the pen does the rest of the work.
The ink is beautiful, bold and lasts all day. If you’d like more ink to flow, simply press the liner tip on the back of your hand to freshly saturate the tip. Hourglass’ Calligraphy Liquid Eye Liner is a gorgeous, easy to use eyeliner that will give you a consistent line at all times.
You might be wondering how Hourglass’ Calligraphy compares to Le Metier de Beaute’s Precision liner ($42), reviewed here. Here are some thoughts:
- The Hourglass Calligraphy is $10 less in price, and physically larger–probably twice as large. I can see tucking Le Metier’s Precision into the smallest bag without concern.
- Both have a very fine, sharply-shaped tip. However, Le Metier’s is more flexible. If you have small lids, or a small area around the lashline, Le Metier’s will give you more control.
- The stiffer Hourglass Calligraphy tends to give a thicker line, unless you touch with the finest end of the tip. However, due to its stiffness, you’ll want to work carefully. The Le Metier Precision is a little more forgiving in this regard; the brush is softer and has more bend/give than the Hourglass.
- Le Metier’s delivers a much finer line on the first application, which can be built to a thicker line.
- In contrast, Hourglass Calligraphy will provide a more traditional liquid-eyeliner look with very little effort.
Overall, Hourglass Calligraphy is an excellent product. When I first tried Le Metier’s Precision, I wondered whether there was a duplicate out there for a less price. After testing the Hourglass Calligraphy, I can see that these are different enough such that one customer is likely to prefer one over the other. Generally, both deliver beautiful, long-lasting lines without having to pump or twist. Their mechanisms both work quite well. However, the Hourglass Calligraphy will please those who want a more traditional eyeliner size. Le Metier’s allows a more subtle look, but then must be built to obtain the fuller look.
Hourglass Calligraphy Eyeliner was provided to Cafe Makeup for review without charge.