Here’s what three things I’m obsessed with this week:
1. Fake reviews-- I was struck by this article from The New York Times describing a system where people are paid up to $5 to post fake positive reviews on business websites. According to the piece, Cornell researchers have developed a computer program to separate the real reviews from the paid. I’m glad to see that there is progress is this area. I’m often curious about the credibility of some.
2. Wherefore art thou Fyrinnae? Fyrinnae is a small, independent cosmetic company that is run by two creative geniuses who really listen to their customers. Lately, their website has been on-again, off-again. I’m hopeful that they are re-tooling.
On a related note, I was very impressed with this post by Joeybunny, who discusses how independent makeup brands skillfully use social media, including smart interaction with beauty bloggers. Her point #2, “Indie retailers embrace us nutty bloggers” is true based on my experience here on Cafe Makeup. I must admit that I’ve noticed that many independent, small beauty companies display a media savvy that is quite masterful. Some have a very human touch.
3. Chanel Illusion D’ombre Mirifique: Everytime I use this deep, sooty black as a liner, I love the effect. Great staying power. A rich, vibrant black. I really love this color.
Here’s what some of the beauty blogospere is obsessed with this week:
- Karlasugar has reviewed the enormous MAC Me Over release that is soon to be released, including these intriguing basics. Stunner blush is catching my eye, how about you?
- The Best Things in Beauty gives us a preview of a new skincare line from Le Metier de Beaute–it looks interesting!
- Fab Over Forty previews the new eyeshadow trio’s coming from Dior. She reports that the quality is impressive.
- My hunger for Paris must be satisfied by looking a blogs from my favorite city–I’m currently enjoying Secrets of Paris, as well as this incredibly useful post from David Lebovitz about the best Paris apps (as in applications, not apartments).