One cannot escape that neon pops of color are a prevailing trend for Spring 2012. Although I’m not likely to be purchasing an orange skinny crop jean just to follow along, I have been drawn to the bright nail colors that can tweak an otherwise neutral look.
I thought it would be fun to pull together some brights in a little sketch-type post. This is just a quick, fun one, just to see a few of the choices out there.
Most were purchased in the past two months, and so most should still be available now. In keeping with our Cafe Makeup aesthetic, few (if any) are neons. Instead, I’ve focused on brights that can still be considered wearable. Really, a bright accent–whether its nails, bracelet or other small accent– is something that anyone from age 10 to 100 can pull off. Fabulous nail colors are out there for under $10–I’ve been really impressed with L’Oreal’s new releases (two are pictured below). Click to enlarge:
Here are some informal thoughts about the shades:
- L’Oreal Check Me Out–a pleasant bright pink that looks expensive. Seriously worth “checking out”
- Dior Pink Graffiti–Part of Dior’s Anselm Reyle Collection. Awesome formula.
- Butter London Disco Biscuit–Although this makes many blogger’s “favorite” lists, I found this needs 3-4 coats to reach a vibrant color, so it falls into the “fussy” category. Try Zoya Layla if you like this blue-pink idea (not pictured because Liz needed it) but want to use fewer coats. Layla doesn’t have as much sparkle, but its a nice vibrant cool pink.
- CND Poppy Field–This was part of CND’s line last year, a very pleasant vibrant coral-red
- OPI Red Lights Ahead–Part of OPI’s Holland collection, this creme is very similar to CND Poppy Field
- Deborah Lippmann Lara’s Theme–An vibrant deep orange
- Laura Mercier Sizzle–Part of the Spring 2012 collection, this one is limited edition. A sophisticated coral-red.
- OPI A Roll in the Hague– Another bright from OPI’s Holland collection
- L’Oreal L’Orange—another delight from L’Oreal’s new line. Two coats to perfect. Nice vibrant opaque formula that is surprisingly good on wear time.
- Zoya Paz– Matte orange roughly the color of a hunting jacket (or a street cone). The closest thing to neon in this bunch.
- Rescue Beauty Lounge Bangin’- I’ve long loved this searing red-coral. Recent twitter traffic suggests that supplies are getting low on this color at the Rescue Beauty Lounge. You’ve been warned.
- OPI Big Apple Red–This color is a nice true red, I’m only including it so you can compare the swatches to the coral-reds to see the difference.
Swatches, swatches, swatches:
Who needs an alarm clock when you’re wearing ten of these? Are you having any fun with brights this season? How are you wearing them?