On Tuesday, May 15, 2012, Chanel held its Cruise 2012/13 show at the gardens at Versailles. Tents were added to the already manicured, rich setting:
The clothing played with the Marie Antoinette theme, the last queen to occupy this opulent palace:
Fitting for the cruise season, the fabrics were much more casual that the brocades worn in Marie Antoinette’s day. The looks were dramatically modernized, yet still echoed the grander era of the palace’s former days:
Some looks that turn Marie Antoinette’s era into modern, lightly worn lace and fabric:
A bathing suit and coverup:
I love this collar detail:
This skirt appears to have a gold train on the back, very rich. Note the shoes:
Another look, this with a plunging neckline fitted jacket and gorgeous bag:
As long as I’ve been following Chanel, they seem to consistently do denim in this very polished fabric (not like the long-wearing American denim, or even the more textured denims from Japan). Here, in capris:
For backstage, I’ve obtained this information from British Vogue: After preparing skin with Chanel’s Hydra Beauty Serum, Philips created a mostly matte complexion – contoured with the Mouche de Beaute Highlighting Powder from the new collection and bold Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Rose Pétale. Filled-in brows were paired with dramatic pink eyes created using a new Ombre Essentielle Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Rose Favorite, whilst lips were kept simple with a little Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine in Evasion.
The models wore heavy, arched brows. There was no new nail color this time around, all reports state that Chanel Le Vernis in Tendresse (currently available) was used. Philips also applied little “CC” beauty marks on the models.
These beauty marks are made from velvet. There are conflicting reports over whether they will be separately available for sale to the general public. My guess (and the more recent report) is “no.”
The complete list of makeup used:
- The Complexion VITALUMIERE Moisture-Rich Radiance Fluid Makeup SPF 15
- ECLAT LUMIERE Highlighting Face Pen
- CORRECTEUR PERFECTION Long Lasting Concealer
- POUDRE UNIVERSELLE LIBRE Natural Finish Loose Powder
- EXCLUSIVE CREATION MOUCHE DE BEAUTE – “Versailles de CHANEL” Collection (available December 2012)
- The Eyes LIMITED EDITION OMBRE ESSENTIELLE in Rose Favorite – “Versailles de CHANEL” Collection (available at specific point of sales in December 2012)
- LE CRAYON KHOL Intense Eye Pencil in Clair
- CRAYON SOURCILS Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil
- RECOURBE CILS DE CHANEL Precision Eyelash Curler
- The Cheeks JOUES CONTRASTE Powder Blush in Rose Pétale
- Little black velvet CHANEL logo specially created for the show (will not be sold)
- The Lips ROUGE COCO SHINE Hydrating Sheer Lipshine in Evasion
- The Nails LE VERNIS Nail Colour in Tendresse
The classic black bow made a re-appearance in this model’s hair:
It’s very hard to get a sense of the movement of these clothes from the still images. I’m including this little interview of Karl Lagerfeld about the show, so that you can see how lightly these are constructed (perfect for the cruise season).
Well, beauty lovers, what did we think? Did we love? Or did we love it not?