Chanel Eyeshadow

Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Abstraction and Vision

June 22, 2012

Chanel has released two new Illusion D’Ombres outside the U.S. market, including the pink-coral Illusion D’Ombre Abstraction and high-shine metallic gold Illusion D’Ombres Vision (28-29 euros each, depending on location). This is a gel cream formula introduced by Chanel during their Fall collection last year. My original six are still doing well–there is no sign of drying out or aging. Although the product tends to pull away from the sides, I understand that this is because the gel is cross-linked and so holds together rather than a traditional gel or creme. I tend to believe that explanation, they still seem as moist as the day that I first opened them.

Unlike the first series, Abstraction and Vision seem to be more opaque. The earlier six (particularly Epatant and Illusiore) have a texture that had complex inner layers of color that sheered out beautifully. Although Abstraction and Vision still have the magical texture, the color of both is more opaque, less complex, and (especially for the gold Vision) harder to sheer out.

Of these two, most readers will find Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Abstraction suits most occasions easily. This is a color that looks almost coral in the pot, but applies as a soft pink pearl. I can see that this will pair well with Illusiore (or any other powder shadow in the violet category). Readers who dislike wearing pink on the lid should heed that instinct. This does lean pink when applied (Chanel calls it a “peach rose”). Abstraction’s light and pearly tone keep this from giving me a full pink-eye effect, particularly when mixed with another shadow. However, the other colors in the original six are much more in my comfort zone.

Chanel occasionally releases a color in its line that is over-the-top fantastic in the catwalk sense of the term. For many reasons, this is why I love the line–they are an haute couture design house, so it should be no surprise. Vision fits within that category–this is a highly-reflective shimmery, sparkling pot of gold. If worn full-force, it’s worthy of a high fashion moment. One might pat out the color or wear it sheerly. As one of the Cafe Makeup commenters noted, Vision is a gold version of Chanel Illusion D’Ombre Fantasme. I did experience a bit of fallout, and layering Vision takes practice because it can get a bit patchy. I got the best results mixing Vision with a moisturizer first–it allows the product to be worn sheerly without any patchiness.

Readers should note that Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Vision is a high-reflect, glitter-rich product. The micro glitter in the other Illusion D’Ombre (except for Fantasme) is far more subtle than Vision. I experienced fall out during application, and the glitter twinkles a bit like a MAC Reflects–it’s prominent.

Here are swatches of Chanel Abstraction and Chanel Vision, applied both heavily and lightly. There is no moisturizer used in this image, these swatches are straight from the pots:

Another set:

I have a feeling that Abstraction and Vision will go into a “don’t use much” category of Illusion D’Ombre, along with Fantasme. Abstraction can work with the new eyeshadow quad Variation released with this collection (review to come). Vision is a niche, glamorous product that is highly reflective, metallic and glittery.  I did find this makeup look wearing Abstraction on Emma Stone on Chanel’s Facebook page:

To Abstraction has been sheered out to get this look (or perhaps the lighting has washed out the color a touch). Either way, it looks amazing with Emma’s eyes. Here’s the complete break-down from the Chanel release:

• Face: Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base, then applied CHANEL Vitalumiere Aqua Hydrating Cream Compact Makeup SPF 15 in 10 Beige, buffed with a soft synthetic brush.
  • Eyes: I applied a wash of CHANEL Illusion D’Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Abstraction, a shimmery peach rose shade available in November. I finished the eyes with two coats of Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara in Noir.
  • Lips: The focal point of the makeup was definitely the lip. I used CHANEL Rouge Coco Lip Colour in Rivoli. I love the contrast of a deep lip shade on fair skin; it’s always so arresting and takes a real commitment to wear. Only a girl with real confidence can pull it off with grace.

Please follow us on....

You Might Also Like

• baby in a corner June 23, 2012 at 3:50 am

I would say this is similar to the GA ETK gold that was in the Christmas collection – I actually get loads of wear out of it – its sheer so just brightens up your eyes – suitable for the weekend during the day, probably not work though.

• Amy June 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

I completely agree–this reminded me very much of the GA ETK as well.

• ADRIANA June 23, 2012 at 6:37 am

ooh, I love these! I am a big fan of Illusion D’Ombre, I love the way they glide on and blend so well. I wish they were being sold in the US!

• Amy June 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

Adriana–I’ve heard through various sources that these should be sold in the U.S. later this year (perhaps October or November). Look for them then!

• ADRIANA June 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

Thanks Amy!

• Eileen June 23, 2012 at 9:37 am

Maybe they’re going to be part of the Holiday 2012 collection. See my comment below :-)

• Eileen June 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Ah, to be a few years younger (Few? More like 30! 😀 ). These are so pretty and will look lovely for an evening out or anytime come the holidays. Thanks for sharing, Amy. By the way, I saw the promos for Chanel Holiday 2012 Éclats du Soir. Vision will work beautifully with the plum, berry, and deep gold of the color scheme.

• Shannon June 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks so much for sharing these. Lovely photos and great review, as always! I was at first intimidated by the color of Abstraction in its container, but it looks very pretty when swatched. I love anything gold so will definitely be putting Vision on my shopping list :)

• Melanie June 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the post! Funnily enough, I pulled out one of mine this morning that I hadn’t worn since the fall. Had forgotten how lovely these are.

Any chance you have any intel on the Blue Illusion collection and when it might launch? I am hoping not to go into labour before that happens so I don’t miss out — Chanel does the BEST blues!!!

• Amy June 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hi Melanie–I believe it will be this summer, but I don’t know the date. The best thing to do is to call a trusted Chanel sales associate (at your favorite counter, or ask others for a reference0. That way, you can have your baby stress free knowing that your pre-order will get shipped to you even without your asking. The Chanel counter at the Nordstrom Seattle store does a nice job–Tressa has been a great SA for me, but you may have someone that you already know as well.

• Melanie July 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I just read on Makeup Alley that the New York Soho Chanel has had Blue Illusion cancelled on them. Can this be so???

• Amy July 8, 2012 at 12:34 am

I don’t know, Melanie. The Chanel Rue Cambon store is still expecting it (as of yesterday). But they haven’t actually received it. I guess we’ll have to see?

• Tara June 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

I know that these 100% will be available at Holiday time in the US. (i.e. Ships in Oct and Nov.)

• Claudia June 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Vision is indeed very, VERY sparkly. To make it easier to wear I apply a sheer layer of Vision first and then use matte power eyeshadow on top. The sparkle will shine through but is toned down considerably. However, I agree it is not a shade that’s easy to work with nor is it very office friendly. I do love the fact that Chanel sometimes goes outside the box and introduces a shade like Vision or Fantasme. Even though Vision is not a shade I will use very often, I am happy to have it in my collection.

• Becca @ The Beauty Sample June 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Vision is so lovely! Abstraction is too, but I don’t know how often I’d actually wear it, despite it being gorgeous. Oh, and I love Emma Stone. Even though I know she has a massive beauty and style team that make her up from head to toe, I think she pulls it off wonderfully and really owns every single look they put her in.

• Elizabeth Maiorana June 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

I love it per these photos of yours. I couldn’t say I’m going to purchase however. Like all things Chanel, very beautiful no question! Thank you. I am equally impressed with Rivoli lips, I most likely will buy that now that I know how pretty it is … xoxo Beth in Pgh 😉

• Memoiselle June 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Abstraction looks pretty. It reminds me of Lisa Eldridge’s new make up tutorial which emphasizes pink colors. Abstraction is a must for me :) I am a little bit hesitant to get vision as I am afraid it would look too frosty on me.
    Thanks for the beautiful swatch

• Chanel Variation Eyeshadow Quad Swatches and Review - Café Makeup » Café Makeup June 25, 2012 at 1:18 am

[…] will compliment well with Chanel’s Illusion D’Ombre in Abstraction. Overall, Chanel Variation is a lovely, feminine quad. I’ll be curious to see how Chanel […]

• In The Past Weeks Or So [Movies, Events + A Swatch & Random Things] | joey'space June 25, 2012 at 3:01 am

[…] the Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Abstraction and Vision >> swatches on @CafeMakeup >> cafemakeup.com/2012/06/22/162… […]

• Sabrina June 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

I will definitely be getting Abstraction. This looks stunning on Emma Stone (not that wearing this will make me look like her, but I still love it on her fair complexion). Thank you for keeping us updated during your travels Amy!

• Liz June 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Please pick me up a gold one

• Posts You Might Want To See! | crystalis007 June 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm