Uncategorized

Liz in September O Magazine

August 13, 2014

liz in oprah magazineIf you are an O Magazine reader, you might look at the cover story of O’s September ’14 issue on page 140 for a picture of Cafe Makeup’s owner and editor Liz, who got a haircut makeover by the magazine in June.

Labelle Day Spa Palo Alto StanfordI’ve always wondered if those magazine makeover features were real, and in this case we can personally verify that, O yes!, this one certainly was. In June, Liz got a haircut that earned her the name “Mrs. Brady” around the office (the back was even worse!). So much for “take off an inch with just a few layers near the face,” right? She had it done at LaBelle Day Spa in Palo Alto. This clearly required Oprah-level intervention to save it. Liz took a redeye to New York to get expert assistance by Garnier hair stylist Tommy Buckett. The change is entirely due to the cut, there are no added weaving or extensions. What do you think of the result?

Liz O magazineThe makeup was by Andrew Sotomayor.

Please follow us on....

You Might Also Like

• bisbee August 13, 2014 at 4:33 am

Wow – it was a disaster before! How could someone do that to her? And much improved after – improved isn’t a strong enough word – transformed is better.

But…Liz is almost unrecognizable in the after picture! I much prefer her own delicate makeup application!

Best of luck to her at her new job…I’m still resisting Twitter!

• Lori August 13, 2014 at 4:34 am

Beautiful! Love the color and the cut is so flattering….look at those cheekbones! Love the eye makeup too – such a fresh look for Liz!

• Brooke @ Blushing Noir August 13, 2014 at 4:45 am

She looks amazing!

• Sunny August 13, 2014 at 5:19 am

Oh God, the hairdresser who did that to Liz should be hanged! Love the improved version: so young and fresh!

• Tanja August 13, 2014 at 6:07 am

B e a u t i f u l ! The after pic is truly cover material. Is there any chance for a make-up breakdown ?

• Amy August 13, 2014 at 6:13 am

I wish! I’d love to find out the lipstick name. I believe he was working from his pro palettes–she didn’t get a breakdown because a lot of the product was de-potted. I know she was wearing false lashes and he did some contouring magic with some cream foundations (probably MAC, but we’re guessing). Now that the shoot is public, I’ve tweeted him. I hope he responds–if so, I’ll post it.

• Frances August 13, 2014 at 6:23 am

Poor Liz! But if she had to go through that bad cut to get that fabulous cut and be on O magazine, it was worth it! Love the new look!

• Nina R. August 13, 2014 at 8:42 am

I saw this on Liz’s Instagram! I can’t wait to get the magazine! Liz is beautiful no matter what, but oy – what a bad before haircut!

• Ame August 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

Love it! Liz you look amazing! I literally just read this this morning and thought “that girl looks SO FAMILIAR” and then I realized how I recognized her!

• Jenny August 13, 2014 at 10:20 am

I saw this on Liz’s Instagram last night too, and I was floored. I’ve always thought she was beautiful – like she should model – but now – wow. I’m speechless. She’s stunning. And I couldn’t agree more – that lipstick!!!

• Nancy August 13, 2014 at 10:48 am

The new cut is terrific. But I want to comment on the fabulous eyebrows in the “makeover” shot. If you get the details on the products used, I hope he includes what he used to very naturally accentuate Liz’s brows (mine are also blonde).

• Gail August 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

So beautiful! Lucky Liz for getting to participate in this (even if she did have to endure the first haircut).

• Rebecca August 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the before and after. I’ve had some bad hair cuts that made me wanna cry. I think some stylists just breeze through cosmetology school without much talent.

• Beauty Professor August 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

This is so awesome…Liz looks gorgeous! Congrats on the feature! XOXO

• Jenny August 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Wowza! The ‘after’ cut looks amazing!!! Amy, we really do need you to find out what lipstick that is please!! :-)

• Amy August 14, 2014 at 4:37 am

I got a response from the artist–he used Chanel Kaska Beige on her eyes and a Chanel eye pencil. No word on the lips, sadly! She doesn’t remember either. It is haunting me too!!

• Carolyn @ The Makeup Writeup August 13, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Liz looks so beautiful! That’s horrible that LaBelle gave her that haircut. Good to know — I’ll stay far away from LaBelle. I love the short hair on her!

• Claudia August 14, 2014 at 6:11 am

Oh wow, what an amazing haircut! I can only imagine how disappointed Liz must have been when she saw what they did to her hair at the LaBelle Day Spa. That cut was not exactly “belle”. In the Netherlands O Magazine is not widely available but some stores do sell it. I’ll see if I can track this issue down. The lipstick is indeed amazing. It does look a lot like Bobbi Brown Beige, but I could be totally wrong, it is so hard to determine a colour from a photo.

• Jackie August 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

She looks stunning! I love the color too!

No one looks good in a shag. Not even the real Mrs. Brady…lol.

• Rachael August 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm

She looks much better with the new cut.

I’m confused. Is Liz the person taking the pics and reviewing the makeup and she just refers to herself in third person? Or is there another person. If so, is it a male or a female? I have been reading this site for a while now and I can’t figure it out.

• amy August 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm

looks much better, of course, but i’d love to see it without the fan effect to get a sense for how the cut falls normally. =]

• Claire August 14, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Amy, Liz is practically a different woman in that “after” shot!! AMAZING! Love the way the artist does her eye makeup. Yep, I’m chiming in with everyone else to get the makeup break down (or maybe a tutorial? the eyeshadow placement really lifts her eyes up). And the lipstick :-)

P.S. I will warn my SIL who lives in Palo Alto re. the salon.

PPS. How does one qualify for a makeover for the O Magazine?

• Amy August 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Claire, I saw a call for this feature the day after the cut. I emailed in, with some pictures. We never mentioned the blog. It was a cold contact, honestly, they played it straight by the book. However, the “before” pictures that we sent in really told the story. After a few phone/Skype interviews, they picked her as one of the three women featured. Really, a bit of luck and good timing I think.

• Claire August 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Truly a happy ending of a tragic haircut, then, so happy for Liz! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Raquelle August 15, 2014 at 8:57 am

The “after” haircut is truly amazing! Did LaBelle dayspa ever apologize or try to make good on the first hair disaster? I hope they refunded her money. But wow, she looks amazing with the haircut “re-do”!

• Amy August 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

She had to call the credit card company, but after they got involved she got a refund.

• Luka August 15, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I saw the insane response they posted via Yelp as well

• kelly m August 15, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Poor Liz, I know how she feels.Someone gave me a bad haircut almost identical to Liz’s 3 days before my wedding and refused to fix it. A different hair dresser who did my hair for the wedding was able to fix it enough for the pictures, she felt so bad she cut my hair after the wedding for free because she couldn’t believe someone in her field would do this to someone. Liz is always gorgeous and I love her new fixed hair cut.

• Jane August 16, 2014 at 12:35 pm

The first haircut is definitely a “before,” but that after cut is so pretty! I love the deeper color, too. So pretty.

It may say in the print though I can’t quite see it: is she able to style it somewhat like that on a daily basis? I badly need to graduate from my SAHM ponytail and I am curious about the daily maintenance.

• JoElla August 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

Jane, it looks like longish layers and cut above the shoulders. Should be easy to style. You may not have the ‘just a touch of a breeze blowing my hair’ look, but this looks like it could be easily achieved, depending on your hair type. Wavy and curly hair, would be harder to work with.

I say bring up this look with your regular stylist, I bet you could get something close.

• Jane August 20, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Oh, fiddle faddle. With my flyaway hair and massive number of cowlicks, long layers never really work like they do on other women.

• JoElla August 22, 2014 at 8:07 am

Mine too Jane, mine too!

• ifmakeupcouldtalk August 17, 2014 at 5:34 am

Congratulations on this feature!!! Liz looks lovely; the “after” shot is a sophisticated look for sure. The very best to you both.
    -Maria

• JoElla August 19, 2014 at 11:01 am

Oh my goodness, I forgot to add, I love the cut and color on Liz! Sometimes something as horrid as a “Mrs Brady” can be changed into something beautiful and new.

• Clever Girl Reviews August 19, 2014 at 9:38 pm

OMG what a change! I love the cut!